Google

Shoe Repair

in the News

Click here for all of the headlines

Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tips from SSIA Professionals
 Ask the Experts
 High heel reduction?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joshuie

1 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a boot last week, and I really love it. It is very cute but has 2 3/4" heel in it. I have a problem on my right foot arch and so wearing high heel higher than 2" or 1 1/2" heel is killing my right foot. Any suggestions or advice on how to fix the heel? Can cut the heel at least an 1"? I really love this shoes, I am pettite and so it is so hard for me to find the right fit for me. Please help!

Sincerly,
Joshuie

Hartland

784 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  10:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this topic has be visited many times, and also is a constant question in my own shop.

there are many obsticles to shortening the high heel styles of today.

many of them have pin lifts, sometimes called spike heels, or dowel lifts. it is a molded hard rubber that is molded to a metal pin... and that fits tightly into a steel tube...Some of the newer heel blocks have an extra piece of metal driven into the tube, which automatically prohibits us from cutting them down, because when we cut them down, we don't have a part of the tube left to drive the heel pin into..we can't always extract that pin, because we might cause damage to the heel block.

The decision to cut them down depend on how the shoe shank is made....the shank is the metal support that bridges your heel to the arch of your shoe. Some shoes are made with a good shank construction, some aren't. Knowing which brands are good or bad usually comes from many years of experiance.

You need to take them to an experienced shoemaker who can tell you if you can lower your high heels or not.

Some shoemakers always say no. They say the shoe is made that way, so don't touch it....Some like me, say it depends... and I never guarantee how much I can lower the heel block. especially the stiletto styles...

Very Rarely, can I cut down a heel an inch. One way to lower the heel is to take the shoe and heel apart to re shape the shank, but that would be difficult with many of the styles today that are made with in-expensive construction that doesn't lend it self to remaking the shoe.

Gene's Hartland Shoe Repair - Saint Paul MN
Go to Top of Page

B-Active Foot Orthotics

2 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  10:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am a Pedorthist, may be we can solve your foot problem with your foot if you can not lower your boot heels.

what is the problem you are having with your arch Plantar fasciitis?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts © 2014 Shoe Service Institute of America Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000