Google

Shoe Repair

in the News

Click here for all of the headlines

Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tips from SSIA Professionals
 Ask the Experts
 Replacing Tassels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigskyden

2 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  11:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhat surprisingly to me, can't seem to find another post which has discussed my modest little question: can I replace tassels on loafers? One came off a relatively new pair of black loafers of mine, and I can't seem to find anywhere on the web that sells only tassels. Searches always assume I'm in search of the whole shoe. Any of you shoe repairers encounter this request? Is it something my local shop can handle, for a few bucks? Can I buy them and do it myself? Hate to bother a shop with something that would seem to this consumer to be no more complicated that lace replacement, but I've struck out so far on web searches. Any thoughts would of course be appreciated.

Randy Lipson

427 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  7:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Randy Lipson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems so simple doesn't it. We all offer that service of tassle replacement. Most of the time, it's not just the tassle but the strapping as well. Some are more complicated than others. Cost will depend on that and the time spent. Replacement tassles don't always match the manufactures tassles so they will look different and you might have to replace all 4. Not so simple after all.

Randy Lipson
Cobblestone Shoe Repair
St. Louis, Mo.
636-532-1046
randy@cobblestoneshoerepair.com
www.cobblestoneshoerepair.com
Go to Top of Page

Cookie

3 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  12:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to sound weird but got to Good Will or some such place find a pr of shoes with the tassels that match you shoes then take the tassels to your shoe repair shop and have him replace your tassels.

Go to Top of Page

bigskyden

2 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  09:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for the replies.
Cookie, your suggestion is not wierd, just common sense, which I can always use!
Go to Top of Page

Hartland

782 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  10:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote

the name of the game is recycling ? any repair is recycling!

your shoe repair shop usually has new ones on hand that they would rather use...but if you find something like tassels, straps, etc, go ahead and bring them in, and hope that they will use them...don't be offended if they say no, but at least you tried.

in my book, they saved me time in looking for that part, so I will gladly install it... BUT remember! I have to be paid for it! Some customers when they bring in their own parts, hope that we will do it for next to nothing, but that is not the way we stay in business...

hopefully if we do the customer the favor, they will remember and bring us more repairs.

Gene's Hartland Shoe Repair - Saint Paul MN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts © 2014 Shoe Service Institute of America Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000