Google

Shoe Repair

in the News

Click here for all of the headlines

Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tips from SSIA Professionals
 Ask the Experts
 Squeaky Soles
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Liam

1 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  11:40:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a pair of boots that suffer from incessent squeaking, located in the centre of the sole. Any of the repair places I tried said - they could do nothing. Is there any chance I could wear the squeak out with time?

Randy Lipson

427 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  11:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Randy Lipson's Homepage
Fixing a squeak in a sole depends on the original construction of the boot. Some of the lower cost boots today have a molded sole and is difficult to remove in one piece therefore having to replace the sole. Some goodyear welted boots almost always can be fixed with great success. Squeaks can be caused by air pockets in the sole, loose shanks, or two different materials rubbing against each other. It us usually a problem caused by it's original construction.

Randy Lipson
Cobblestone Shoe Repair
St. Louis, Mo.
636-532-1046
randy@cobblestoneshoerepair.com
www.cobblestoneshoerepair.com
Go to Top of Page

Brian

1 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  11:41:33 PM  Show Profile
shoes that squeak in the sole area is most offen caused by the shank (steel or fiber board) rubbing against the sole. the only way to stop the squeak is to have the sole peeled back and cement added or replace the soles. the squeak is caused by not enough cement holding the shank in place.when the shoe flexes friction causes the squeak anyone shoe care prof.who says they cannot repair does not want to do the job or is an idiot.hope i helped.
Go to Top of Page

James

1 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  11:41:59 PM  Show Profile
There are several reason why footwear squeaks. It can be fixed. Need to know type and name of boots it could be the heel shank or if ita a double sole
Go to Top of Page

mcline

2 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  1:00:41 PM  Show Profile
I have a pair of "Keen Men's Finlay Oxford Lace Shoe - Bison - MSRP $110" exactly 13 months old. The soles on both started squeaking internally about 6 months ago, and are driving me nuts now. The shoes are too old to pay for repair, not to mention the sole does not look like it can be separated, but the shoes are also too new to replace just yet. I believe the steel shank has separated and is squeaking against the rubber internally in the sole. They squeak without inserts as well.

I'm seeking feedback on the following irreversible repair option: I can drill a small hole into the shank area and inject grease into this area. It stands to reason that would permeate and stop the squeak and buy me another year or so of silent walking. Would grease be a bad idea? Though I'm not easily able to inject cement, would that be a better idea?
Go to Top of Page

mcline

2 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  4:49:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mcline
I believe the steel shank has separated and is squeaking against the rubber internally in the sole. They squeak without inserts as well.

Upon closer examination, there is no shank in this sole, at least certainly not of metal, however the sole visibly has an air pocket where is has internally separated under the heal. I'm thinking exacto-surgery and cement will have a positive effect. I'll let you know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts © 2014 Shoe Service Institute of America Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000