Google

Shoe Repair

in the News

Click here for all of the headlines

Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tips from SSIA Professionals
 Ask the Experts
 Boot Layered Sole Repair
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

allanrps

1 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2014 :  9:30:18 PM  Show Profile
So I took my pair of leather boots to a cobblers to have the sole repaired, as it was coming away from the shoe, but I was told that they couldn't be repaired. I don't want to wast the perfectly good leather, so I joined this forum just to ask some cobblers about how I might be able to repair it. He said the shoe consists of three parts --a leather upper sewn onto a cardboard lower upon which the rubber out sole is glued-- and once the cardboard layer starts disintegrating, there is nothing that can be done. That this layer is disintegrating is no doubt the problem, as the threads are coming undone and the sole is falling off, but is this layer really just some type of cardboard? Why would a leather shoe be made with a material that would dissolve in a couple years?

I would like to be able to fix this shoe by pulling the disintegrating layer off and sewing on another material upon which to mount the sole. Is this something I could do? What material should I use?

Thanks a bunch for the help,
Allan
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts © 2014 Shoe Service Institute of America Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000