Google

Shoe Repair

in the News

Click here for all of the headlines

Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tips from SSIA Professionals
 Ask the Experts
 How can I stretch the toe box??
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Bunion

2 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  08:54:26 AM  Show Profile
I just bought a pair of patent leather shoes. The reviews online said the shoe was narrow, but I bought a B anyway and out of the box it felt great. I wore it around my house, which apparently is dirtier than I knew, because the soles quickly dirtied to the point where I can't return the shoes. So, they're mine now! Once I wore them to work for one day, I saw what the review meant. The toe box is tight and the shoe feels narrow. I have a pair of shoe stretchers. Should I try to stretch out the toe box? Will patent leather stretch or break in?

Thanks for your help. These were a pricey purchase so I'm determined to make it work.

Hartland

784 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  6:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hartland's Homepage
yes you should try.

BUT...are yours Shoe Stretchers, or shoe trees?
Shoe stretchers are usually split wood forms that you use a handle to crank which splits the wood open, thus stretching the shoe.

Shoe trees, look like shoe forms, some look like a shoe stretcher as mentioned above, but usually have either a spring that forces the wood shoe form into the shoe, or at the heel area is an ajustment handle that changes the length of the form to make sure it fits snugly into the shoe, keeping the shoe shape....

Shoe stretchers come as one, shoe trees come as a pair...

alot of people get these two mixed up...just trying to help you make the correct decision.

Gene's Hartland Shoe Repair - Saint Paul MN
Go to Top of Page

Paul Bunion

2 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  08:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Hartland- they came in a pair and have the heel bit, so I think they're shoe trees?
Go to Top of Page

Hartland

784 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hartland's Homepage
Paul,
You need to either buy a 2 way stretcher, a common one that most shoe repair shops sell is made by Dasco or bring them in to that same shop to have them do the stretching for you.

You only need to buy one, just stretch one shoe at a time, applying the stretch solution as instructed, and leave the stretcher in the shoe for at least 2 days. Remove and repeat the second shoe. Then try the shoes around the house....maybe allow up to 2 to 4 hours the first time.....Dont get stuck somewhere all day with it, if you find out that you didn't stretch them enough.

Gene's Hartland Shoe Repair - Saint Paul MN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts © 2014 Shoe Service Institute of America Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000