Google

Shoe Repair

in the News

Click here for all of the headlines

Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tips from SSIA Professionals
 Ask the Experts
 can you make shoes smaller?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sossmoss

1 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  04:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have these lovely louis vuitton croc pumps that are multiple sizes too big! they are an 11 and i am an 8! but i love them so much and they were handed down to me from someone, are they going to be able to be resized to my shoe size? or is that impossible to do? thank you for any help!

Hartland

782 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
trying to make up 3 sizes difference will be quite difficult.

We have a customer who wears a size 41/2 and has a hard time finding pumps to fit. What we do for her is sew on pump straps, with an elastised buckle, like you see on dance shoes. We also put a foam "jimmie" under the insole, so that makes her shoes wearable for the job she has as a hostess in a restuarant...

She says that she wouldn't recommend hiking around town, because the shoe isn't tight enough, but thankfully, good enough to walk to the car, and into the house which meets the need.

To find some natural or synthetic croc material will be the hardest part. You might scrounge around the used clothing stores, and see what you can find. MAYBE you could find an old LV purse or bag that could be used for making a pair of straps.. (We have a bag that is a (copy) that someone left behind!)

(the other Idea, Do the heels have a solid color leather? maybe in this case you could have straps put on to match the heels....)

To remake the shoes smaller takes a shoemaker that has shoe lasts.. It takes quite a bit of expertise to last regular leather, let alone an extotic skin...Leather needs to be shaped onto the new last, and stay stretched over the last for a week or so before it can retain the new shape. Someone who is an expert in this area probably won't be cheap.

Good Luck,
Gene

Gene's Hartland Shoe Repair - Saint Paul MN

Edited by - Hartland on 03/22/2006 11:09:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

bedos

6 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  09:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit bedos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We work with a lot of "LV" shoes and some times you have to walk away from a job. For dance shoes YES it is a very good idea to put straps on. I personaly would not alter a beautiful "LV" pumps,
to size them is one thing but to try to put straps on a pair of "LV" pumps is not recomended. The only advice is to try to sell them and find some thing that fits you. I agree with Gene, some one needs to be a shoe maker to take on this type of work. Even then the job is double difficult because you are taking appart a shoe already made and trying to remake it. My father, my grandfather, and my great grandfather were all shoe makers so I know whats involved in making a shoe.
STEVE
Bedo's Leatherworks Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Hartland

782 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  12:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve
you had the guts to say what I forgot to say, Yes, sometimes it is best to walk away from something like that...
best wishes,
gene

Gene's Hartland Shoe Repair - Saint Paul MN
Go to Top of Page

Randy Lipson

427 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Randy Lipson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try this website for a unique idea for mules or just keeping on those shoes that slip.

www.mymuletto.com

Randy Lipson
Cobblestone Shoe Repair
St. Louis, Mo.
636-532-1046
randy@cobblestoneshoerepair.com
www.cobblestoneshoerepair.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shoe Repair Forum - SSIA's Ask the Experts © 2014 Shoe Service Institute of America Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000